Lexington, Kentucky is home to around 280,000 people and the University of Kentucky which adds 30,000 students to the population as well as a lively downtown atmosphere.
Surrounded by green spaces and horse farms, Lexington claims the title of “Horse capital of the world” and is home to many famous racehorses. Lexington is also the future site of the 2010 FEI World Equestrian Games which is expected to bring as many as 300,000 visitors to the city.
During your stay you will find an excellent choice of restaurants, nightlife, and a growing art culture. In 2008, Lexington was named the 5th best city in the US for “business and career” by Forbes magazine. It was also named the 5th best in the US for young professionals by Kiplinger.
Lexington, Kentucky Highlights
- Rupp Arena – home of the UK Wildcats and home of the most exciting college basketball in the country
- Lexington Legends – a minor league baseball team affiliated with the Houston Astros
- Kentucky Thoroughblades – a minor league hockey team
- Lexington Horsemen – an arena football team that is doing very well
- Kentucky Horse Park – home of the Rolex 3 day event and future home of the World Equestrian Games
- Keeneland race track
- Red Mile harness racing – the second oldest harness racing track in the US
- “Old Friends” – a farm that takes in retired thoroughbreds and famous racehorses
These businesses all have a large presence in Lexington, Kentucky.
- LexMark International
- ACS (Affiliated Computer Services)
- JM Smuckers (Jif Peanut Butter)
You can pretty much find what you are looking for in Lexington without finding the crime and dirty streets of larger cities.