Lexington, Kentucky Travel Information
Lexington nightlife is changing. With the recent demolition of a downtown block to construct what will be the city’s largest high-rise, the city center has a different feel. On any given night, you can typically find live music, a huge college crowd, and a mix of interesting bars to visit.
Most of Lexington’s nightlife is situated downtown between Main street and Short street where there are a scattering of bars and clubs within walking distance.
Lexington Nightlife info:
- Smoking is no longer allowed inside Lexington bars or restaurants. Many pubs and bars have patios with heaters in the winter to accommodate smokers.
- Closing time is usually 02:30am.
- The number for taxi service is (859)231-TAXI or (231-8294). Alternatively, try (859)223-TAXI.
- The flag fee for taxis is $2.50.
Here are just a few of the Lexington nightlife options:
Lexington Kentucky Bars
McCarthys – 117 South Upper st (between Main and Vine) – (859) 258-2181.
- McCarthys is extremely busy on weekends when UK is in session, but relaxed and enjoyable during the week. You will meet Irish, Australians, and English working in the horse business. There is a nice patio. No food.
Molly Brookes – 109 N. Limestone. (across from new courthouse building) – (859) 420-5792
- Molly Brookes is a new Irish pub in Lexington. The sidewalk patio offers a great view of the courthouse plaza and fountains. No food. (Food can be ordered or carried in from Mia’s just 1 block away)
O’Neills – 2051 Richmond Rd # 140 (away from downtown) – (859) 266-4488
- O’neills is away from downtown but an excellent option if you are staying near Richmond Rd or the Doubletree suites. You will find a covered patio, excellent fish-n-chips, and live music. Sundays are best.
Cheapside Bar and Grill – corner of Mill st and Short st – (859) 254-0046
- Cheapside has a large heated patio and offers excellent food. You will find live music on weekends including blues, classic rock, and jazz.
Harveys – 200 W Main st (at corner of Main st and Upper st) – (859) 226-9333
- Harveys is a nicer bar with large outdoor area and “mood” room. Next door is Hugo’s, an upscale dance club with dress code. The two share a large deck with outdoor bar in the summer which backs up to the ever-popular McCarthys.
Chase Tap Room – 135 N. Broadway (corner of Broadway and High street)
- Chase has a huge selection of beers on tap and offers a 50% discount on orders made when a siren is going by outside! Live music on Wed. Happy hour nightly between 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Bluegrass Tavern – 115 Cheapside (near the new, glass pavilion) – (859) 389-6664
- The Bluegrass Tavern is the place to go to sample scores of Kentucky bourbons and beers.
Busters – 899 Manchester St. (859) 368-8871
- Despite the decentralized location, Busters is a grungy, punk-rock-type venue to catch great live music. The space feels like a huge garage!
Two Keys Tavern – 333 S Limestone (on campus) – (859) 254-5000
- Two Keys is the spot to be on campus for 25 and under crowd. A large patio with outdoor music, dance floor with DJ, and drink specials. No food. Tuesday and Thursdays are big.
Pazzo’s Pizza Pub – 385 S Limestone (on campus) – (859) 255-5125
- Pazzo’s is a sprawling, multi-leveled place offering great pizza, multiple bars with TVs, two decks, and an outside patio with wall projection TV. They also have an enormous array of beers on tap. Wednesdays are “pint night” — show up early, the place gets packed, and get a pint glass for whatever beers are featured.
- Rosebud’s is small but typically busy, particularly late on weekends. A VIP room next door known asSilks Lounge is slightly upscale, and close proximity to Goodfella’s – the late-night pizza joint – adds to the crowd.
- This large and dark place caters to a different crowd, and has great bands – even occasional international acts! Simply called “Cosmic” usually, Cosmic Charlie’s is one of the best live-band venues in Lexington.
Vue – 201 E Main St, Chase Bank Building, 15th Floor – (859)523-0333
- Formerly known as Baker’s 360, this classy restaurant and dance club has an incredible view of Lexington and offers some of the best dancing in town (including a stage for women only to dance without being hit on)
The Loft – 401 West Main Street (Victorian Square) – (859) 621-5831
- This massive dance loft plays trance and house music and has an underground/metro feel with lots of lights and smoke. A very fun place on weekends, there is a dress code. No Patio.
The Moon – 815 E Euclid Ave (on campus) – (859) 335-6666
- This large nightclub offers couches, tables, a big dance floor, and a mixed crowd of college and older patrons. Newly renovated.
Bar Lexington – 367 E Main St (on the edge of downtown going east) – (859) 231-7263
- Bar Lexington is a large club complex with covered outdoor decks, volleyball courts, and live music area. Multiple venues inside. Big dance floor. No food.
Upscale Lexington Nightlife
Bigg Blue Martini – 369 W Vine St (bottom of Radisson / Downtown Lexington hotel) – (859) 231-9000
- Bigg Blue Martini is an upscale, hotel bar with a prime location in downtown Lexington. Fenced sidewalk patio. Convenient, enclosed smoking area with heaters. Food available.
- Parlay Social is Lexington’s newest hotspot; expect great bands, upscale service and decor, but reasonable drink prices and only a $5 cover for great music! The Prohibition theme adds to the place while great jazz, blues, funk, and 80s bands play.
DeSha’s Bar and Grill – 101 N Broadway (middle of downtown) – (859) 259-3771
- DeSha’s is another upscale place offering fine dining, Kentucky culture, and a large selection of bourbon. No patio.
Sky Bar – 269 W Main St (beside Bluegrass Tavern and the glass pavilion) – (859) 368-7900
- Sky Bar is an upscale, pricey-yet-popular bar at the top of a building overlooking the old courthouse square. Small dance floor inside as well as VIP lounges. Dress code.
After partying the night away, here are some popular late night food options:
- Tally Ho (recently moved from campus to Broadway) offers famous burgers and onion rings.
- Goodfella’s pizza (Mill st downtown around corner from Cheapside) has giant, Italian-style pizzas and other dishes. Expect great food but long queues with no seating!
Check back as we keep adding Lexington nightlife bars and reviews to this page!